8/17/2012

Story behind the documentary movie, "Peace ∞ Piece"


Peace ∞ Piece - find a way to bring us 'peace of mind' from Toko Shiiki on Vimeo.
"Documentary about a 23-year-old girl, Ashley: Finding a way she has found peace through a struggle, and hoping to help others with their own struggles..." Featuring Ashley Hubbard.
Directed by Toko Shiiki
--------------------------
I have been working on a series, "Inner-life documentary" since 2009, in order to visualize what has been really going on inside me. At the same time, I started a psycho therapy to overcome my own struggle (with mental disorders). I'm now at almost the end of my therapy. By going through the internal journey, I have learned a lot. Especially, how important to truly love ourselves/be kind to ourselves, that's fundamentals of happy healthy peaceful life. I tried to find the best way to express what I have learned but I could not get it right away. While I was searching the right medium to express that, fortunately Ashley shared her story with me. It resonated so well. At that moment, I believed that I must document Ashley; through her, I could deliver the message gently and also powerfully to others. To do this, I thought I must make a movie, instead of photographing her. This is, for me, for the first time to make a movie but once I have done, I have even more stronger belief inside me, and really want to share many people who might find benefit from this. I have a confidence that the message of this movie will reach a wide audience, of course, especially someone has trich but also who are coping with their own struggles.


I'm truly thankful to Ashley. She is a special gift for me. She has shared her wise soul. She talks so genuinely. Every single part what she shared was a treasure for me to capture. Yes, of course, without her, I could never do this. I feel the whole process to make this movie; I tried to find how to express this, and Ashely told me her story, and then hosting the origami workshop and on that day I had a camera with me which can film (I didn't plan to do shoot movies on that day), IS meant to be...

Like Ashley also said inside the movie, I also think maybe there will be step-backs every once in a while, in my life, also. But, even so, I now feel okay. I have faith that I can come back here and continue to move forward.


Lastly I'd like to say.... "Even if you feel alone, believe me, you are not alone."


Thank you... with love,

Toko

http://tokoshiiki.com

2 comments:

  1. Your artwork is so original and enlightening because it comes from deep within you. I hope you´ll keep making very-personal projects.

    "Even if you feel alone, believe me, you are not alone." I like that, I´ll try to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear Megan, thank you so very much... Yes I do continue my "very-personal" project. It's my life-long project ;)

    and you know...
    "Even if you feel alone, believe me, you are not alone."
    That's actually something I also try to remember, especially during difficult time.
    And I keep saying that to you too in my heart!! Love!

    ReplyDelete